Thursday 9 May 2013

The first day of the rest of my life?


Well tonight I attend the first session of a stand-up comedy course. This has been a long time coming, but now it is here. Do I really expect to turn into a stand-up comedian? No! DO I even expect that I will be any good? Doubtful! But I do have some hopes.

The first is to find the experience interesting and that I may pick up some tips and tricks I can use in my professional career. The illustration I would give is that having been an attendee on a Dale Carnegie course many years ago I then took up the invitation to be a "graduate assistant". In this latter role I learnt a lot of the work that goes on behind the scenes and some of the techniques used to help the whole process flow. As an attendee it just seemed natural and easy, but as a graduate assistant you appreciated the hard work that is required to make it so. I have used some of those ideas in my work since.

In terms of comedy one often hears that comedians that seem so naturally funny, sponstaneous and indeed polished when performing are far less assured or even funny when then are without a script and microphone. I think this course will help me appreciate the support structures behind the performer.

My second is to get better at "timing".....maybe. In group discussions I am aware that the timing of my contributions is not always as smoothly and effectively executed as they might be. This can reduce the impact of my contribution so if I can learn something in that space it will be valuable.

The last is that my perspective on the worl around me may change - indeed I have sensed that already. When one is looking for funny moments or situations, one's awareness and observational powers should be raised. Thise are no bad things, but additionally it is hard to feel down or negative when one is laughing so the more humour one can find in the world, whether it be for subsequent replay as a comedian or not, can only be a positive thing from a personal point of view.

So at 6:15pm this evening I walk into a room with no idea who I will meet, what I will be asked to do or where the journey will take me. My wife and daughter are mortified at the idea of me doing this an specifically the possibility of me standing up and performing at a showcase. I wonder if I can surprise them and maybe win them over a little?

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If something I have said has made you think, angry or simply feel confused, please to leave comment and let me know.